HVAC Acronyms are Your Guide to Savings
Knowing the HVAC acronyms and what each one means are the sure fire ways to make you a savvy consumer when purchasing HVAC products. These efficiency ratings are the ideal guide for purchasing units that are efficient and can save you money on monthly energy expenditures.
HVAC Efficiency Acronyms
- MERV: Minimum efficiency reporting value (MERV) is the international industry standard for the efficiency of air filters. The value is given to identify the air filtering capabilities of filters. These ratings range from one to 16 and are measured in microns. With a higher rating, you get more efficiency for the removal of viruses, bacteria, pollen, dust, spores and pet dander.
- AFUE: Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE) is the ratio of annual heat output compared to the fuel energy consumed by a boiler or furnace. For example, an AFUE of 85 percent means that 85 percent of the fuel is used for heating, while the other 15 percent escapes through chimneys or ductwork. The higher the percentage, the more efficient the HVAC system is.
- SEER: Seasonal Energy Efficiency Rating (SEER) is the standard used to measure the efficiency of air conditioning systems. The rating is determined by measuring the cooling output and dividing that figure by the electric input during the same cooling season. Today, there are innovative air conditioners on the market that offer 26 SEER.
- BTU: British Thermal Units (BTUs) are the traditional measurements for the amount of energy needed to heat or cool one pound of water by one degree Fahrenheit. HVAC systems are sold in different sizes according to the amount of BTUs an indoor space requires. Larger spaces require more of these units. Often, HVAC contractors will do a heat and load calculation to determine the amount of British Thermal Units required. This way, the system won’t be oversized or undersized.
- EER: Energy Efficiency Ratio (EER) is another measurement for cooling systems. It is determined by set indoor temperature, set outdoor temperature and relative humidity.
- HSPF: Heating Seasonal Performance Factor (HSPF) is the measurement specifically used to measure the efficiency of air source heat pumps. Typically, units with over HSPF of eight qualify for tax incentives and rebates.
Energy Star HVAC Systems
Products that have the Energy Star certification use less energy and prevent greenhouse gas emissions. In order to earn this designation, companies must meet stringent efficiency guidelines outline by the Department of Energy and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. With green certified products, consumers can save more than $600 a year on energy bills. In addition, many of the Energy Star HVAC systems are eligible for savings with local utility companies, state initiatives and federal programs for tax credits.
HVAC Systems and HVAC Services at Sun Kool Air Conditioning in The Villages, FL
At Sun Kool Air Conditioning, we carry and install a wide range of top brand HVAC systems that have high ratings for energy efficiency. From heat pumps and air conditioners to furnaces and boilers, we’ll help you choose the ideal unit for your home. Along with the savings from our energy efficient units, you’ll experience ultimate indoor comfort year-round.
Commercial companies can also rely on us to fulfill all of their engineer-designed projects. We have a full in-house sheet metal shop for the expert fabrication of flex systems, spiral ducts, wrapped metal and duct board systems. Not only will we meet your deadline, we’ll meet your budget.
When one of our service technicians arrives at your home or place of business, be assured you are getting a top-notch technician. All of our service technicians and installers carry the renowned NATE certification. This prestigious certification is only awarded to those who demonstrate excellent levels of knowledge and skills in all areas of HVAC. In addition, our service technicians receive constant factory training to stay on top of the latest models, techniques and tools. They are the experts in HVAC repair, installation and maintenance.
With our residential and commercial preventative maintenance plans, our customers can keep their HVAC equipment running efficiently. Regular maintenance by a professional HVAC technician also increases the lifespan of a unit and avoids the possible potential of costly repairs. For any HVAC need, be sure to give us a call at Sun Kool Air Conditioning.