It will still be some time before we start to feel any consistently cold temperatures in the Ocala area. However, when the colder temperatures do arrive, you want to be sure your HVAC system can rise to the challenge. There are a few important HVAC maintenance tasks that you can undertake that will improve your system’s efficiency and indoor air quality (IAQ).
The filter for your heating system plays a very important role in system efficiency, comfort, and indoor air quality. Operating the system with a dirty filter makes it work harder to process airflow through the system. This will increase the wear on its parts, and increase your heating bills. A dirty filter will:
- Slow airflow through the air handler, making the system run longer.
- Deposit dust on parts inside the air handler, reducing its efficiency.
- Deposit dust inside the ductwork.
- Result in increased pollutants in your indoor air.
You can avoid these problems by checking the filter monthly and changing it when it’s dirty. If you use a higher-quality filter, check it more often. Better filters trap more particulates, and may get clogged faster. When choosing new filters, be sure you pick the right size. If they are too small, more dust will enter the system, further affecting indoor air quality. While filters are meant to protect HVAC systems from dust and dirt related damage, they do provide a line of defense against particulates in the air you breathe.
Professional HVAC Maintenance
This is also a perfect time to make sure your air conditioning system gets a little TLC. After months of working hard to keep you comfortable in Florida’s hot and humid weather, your system could definitely benefit from a thorough inspection and servicing. HVAC maintenance should be performed twice yearly to make sure your entire system is in good working order, and will continue to operate efficiently.
When you schedule routine maintenance for your air conditioner, you can count on your service technician to:
- Lubricate all moving parts to reduce friction and the likelihood of breakdown.
- Inspect all parts to make sure they are in good working properly.
- Clean the system to ensure that it operates efficiently during the entire heating period.
- Recharge the refrigerant levels, if necessary.
- Check that thermostat is calibrated and correctly reading temperatures.
Routine inspections of your HVAC system can save you money on operational costs while helping you to avoid potentially expensive repair bills. When your heat pump or air conditioner undergoes professional maintenance, the pros can often identify small problems before they become big ones. They can also help to ensure your system runs effectively and efficiently, which can have an impact on indoor air quality, as well.
Other Steps You Can Take
Clean air filters and a well-functioning AC are critical for helping with indoor air quality concerns, but they aren’t the only measures you can take. To further improve the quality of your indoor air, be sure to:
- Check doors and windows for leaks that could cause cold air to enter your home. This cause your heating system to work harder, increasing energy consumption.
- Dust using damp cloths, and clean regularly to avoid spreading dirt particles in the air that could clog the filter.
- Ensure that you are programming your thermostat correctly.
- Consider adding an air purifier or other indoor air quality products to your HVAC system.
The pros at Sun Kool Air Conditioning, Inc. are here to help you make sure your heating system is ready for the cooler months. We have provided HVAC services for homeowners in the Ocala area, including Crystal River, Sumter County, The Villages and Marion County, for more than 25 years. Call us today at 352-282-4763, and make sure your system continues to serve you well.