Keeping Your Home Safe While You’re Away for the Holidays
Are you one of the millions who will take to the skies and highways this year to travel during the holidays? Holiday getaways are great, but if you’re honest with yourself, you likely can’t help worrying about keeping your home safe while you’re traveling.
Things can happen, from break-ins to a broken sprinkler system. Read on for some of our top tips for securing your home while you’re away.
- Ask someone to check on your home daily. Your friend can help make your home look occupied by opening and closing blinds and drapes, picking up the mail and newspaper, turning lights on and off, and taking out and bringing in the trash.
- If you don’t have or want an alarm system, put a sign for an alarm system in your front yard. Burglars may leave your home alone if they think it’s too much trouble to break in.
- Mum’s the word when it comes to broadcasting your whereabouts on social media. It’s fun to share your travel news, but potential burglars are also interested in the fact that you’re away and know how to break into social media to snoop.
- Set the thermostat to a lower temperature while you’re away in the winter, but not too low in case there’s a freeze. A programmable thermostat is an ideal way to control your home’s environment, and a smart thermostat is even better, since you can control the temperature from afar.
- Get the HVAC system checked out before you leave so you don’t come home to any unpleasant surprises, like a broken furnace. Get all plumbing leaks fixed as well.
- If you’re going to be hard to reach, give your friend your HVAC provider’s number so any emergencies can be reported promptly.
For more tips on keeping your home safe while you’re traveling during the holidays, call Sun Kool Air Conditioning, Inc. We serve Ocala and the surrounding areas.
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com