Programmable Thermostats: Use Yours Right and Trim Energy Bills
Homeowners interested in lowering utility bills with the help of programmable thermostats need to understand the importance of correctly using these handy devices. By programming your thermostat to raise the temperature of your home in summer and lower it during the winter months while you sleep or while all members of your household are away, you’ll be able to obtain a significant reduction in your yearly heating and cooling costs.
Programmable thermostats are an excellent tool to help your household reduce energy usage without sacrificing comfort, yet, if they’re not used appropriately, it’s unlikely that utility bills will show much reduction.
To enjoy the maximum benefits of your programmable thermostat, the following key points should be followed.
Tips for Using Programmable Thermostats
- During summer months, program your thermostat to 78 degrees only for time periods when you’re in your home and need cooling.
- If your home is empty during the day, raising the temperature seven to 10 degrees during those hours will provide you with significant energy savings. By programming the thermostat to adjust the temperature back to 78 degrees before you return, you’ll save money with no discomfort.
- Set your thermostat to 68 degrees in the winter while you’re awake and need heating.
- With cool weather, program the thermostat to adjust the temperature of your home seven to 10 degrees lower and return it to a comfortable level before you arrive when all household members will be away to save money as during summer months.
- During winter months, programming the thermostat to reduce the temperature of your home while you sleep and raise it before you wake will add significantly to your energy savings and keep your whole home comfortable.
If you’re in the Ocala or surrounding areas and would like to learn more about how programmable thermostats can help you reduce your utility bills, contact the professionals at Sun Kool Air Conditioning. We’ve been helping homeowners meet their home comfort needs for more than 25 years!
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com